Web Resources for School Psychology Graduate Students
• Center on Instruction provides free research based materials and online courses for educators.
• National Reading Panel Teaching Children to Read... subgroup reports
• HELPS program for reading fluency. Highly recommended. This is an evidence based program. All materials and progress monitoring materials can be downloaded free. Has videos of implementation The Helping Early Literacy with Practice Strategies (HELPS) Programs integrate easy-to-use instructional strategies that are specifically designed to improve students reading fluency.
• Florida Center for Reading Research--the definitive site for school psychologists
• Reading Rockets is a USDOE project to disseminate evidence-based information about reading. Highly recommended.
• Headsprout Early Reading is an effective evidence-based online K-2 supplemental program that "ensures reading success for every child, guaranteed." The program takes a non-reader or beginning reader up to mid-2nd-Grade reading skills in less than 30 hours of individualized online instruction. Briefly, the system continually tests student knowledge of early reading skills, provides more instruction, practice and feedback as necessary and moves the student on when they've mastered prerequisite skills.
The National Center on Intensive Interventions is housed at the American Institutes for Research, and works in conjunction with many of our nation's most distinguished data-based individualization (DBI) experts.
• Children of the Code: a social education project about the science of reading featuring videos, interviews, and other resources.
• A is for Apple, B is for Brawl: Why New York's Reading Wars are so contentious.
• Teaching Reading IS Rocket Science, Louisa Moats
• Whole Language High Jinks: How to Tell When "Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction" Isn't, Louisa Moats